Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shall I give to charity?

Sometimes I hesitate to give to charity? I worry that People will call me a miser for not helping or donating.

In Australia, I read a report that every $10 donated only 2 dollars will be given to help the cause they promoted due to administration or other cost. I was disappointed by the statistic. It was only when I went to work in Melbourne then I understand how it works. The manager of the charity told me to go to the street and solicit for donations. Of the $100 collected in a day, 30-40% will belong to me, another 40% will be kept by them for salary and rental. Another 20% will then be used to help the cause. Oh god!

After seeing bad news in NKF and Renci hospital, I hesitiate to give more even though I knew something must be done. However I am encouraged by what Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are doing in the world. I will question more and demand more transparency in giving huge sums of money.

At the moment, the best thing I can do for the poor is not to be poor. I will help people around me more by non monetary means rather than pure money.

No comments:

Post a Comment